The Hermione Hammond Drawing Award was established in 2012, in memory of the artist Hermione Hammond (1910-2015), to encourage the practice of representational drawing among art students. From 2017, it is run in partnership with Mall Galleries, central London's leading gallery, celebrating contemporary visual arts through a lively and diverse programme of exhibitions and events.
The award is open to students in the UK and Republic of Ireland who have the opportunity to win a £4000 prize and a £250 Cass Art Materials prize. Shortlisted entrants will also have the opportunity to exhibit their art work in the Islington Cass Art Space later in the year.
- The subject can represent any form of human, animal or plant life, a still life, an interior, or any scene – witnessed or imagined.
- Entries must be hand-drawn from life or from an imagined image but not from photographs. Multiple colours are not permitted.
- Artists may submit up to six images each
- Entries must have been completed within the last 12 months
- Entrants must be aged 18 or over
- Submission is free
HOW TO ENTER
- To enter, please upload up to six images of new or recent drawings (completed within the last 12 months) at registrationmallgalleries.org.uk between Monday 9 January 2017 and Friday 21 April 2017, 12 noon. Please note that images must be in JPEG format and under 1MB.
- All work must be submitted online. Entrants will be notified of the winner by email. The winner will also be announced on the Mall Galleries website and social media, on Monday 8 May 2017 at 12 noon.
- Works will be judged by the organisers of the Award, representatives from Mall Galleries, and guest artist Jason Bowyer NEAC PS RP (member of the Royal Society of Portrait Painters, The Pastel Society, Past President of the New English Art Club, and the 2015 recipient of The Prince of Wales’s Award for Portrait Drawing).