WIN A TURNER INSPIRED PAINTING BREAK IN CORNWALL
**This prize draw has now ended**
Our friends at Newlyn School of Art have launched a fantastic prize draw for one lucky winner to receive a place on their five day Turner course, six nights of accommodation at two of the best hotels in Cornwall and attendance at a talk and dinner hosted by one of the world authorities on J M W Turner! This is a wonderful opportunity to explore the work of J M W Turner with three of the most experienced landscape painters working in Cornwall today. Read on for more information and how to enter.
- One place on the five-day Turner course on 10th-14th July, 2017 - worth £550.
- 3 nights B&B at Artist Residence Hotel, Penzance on 9th, 10th and 11th July - worth £585 (accommodating up to two people).
- 3 nights B&B at Chapel House Hotel, Penzance on 12, 13 and 14th July - worth £525 (accommodating up to two people).
- Two places at the public talk on Turner at Newlyn School of Art and the subsequent dinner and talk at Chapel House Hotel on 13th July - worth £65.
A five day painting course responding to the work of J M W Turner from 10th-14th July run by Newlyn School of Art on the dramatic West Cornwall coastline, led by three respected landscape artists with demonstrations and lots of hands-on exercises. The course venues will include the places Turner painted in West Cornwall such as the cliffs near Land’s End and the foreshore in front of St Michael’s Mount among other places. All materials are included. The prize includes a public evening talk at Newlyn School of Art on Turner’s painting processes, by expert Professor Sam Smiles, and drinks and dinner at Chapel House (previously home to the Captain of the ship made famous in the Turner painting The Fighting Temeraire) followed by a short talk by Professor Sam Smiles on Turner’s Oil painting The Fighting Temeraire from the collection of the National Gallery.
- Professor Sam Smiles wrote the Tate Gallery Guide to Turner, the ‘Late Turner’ book and the Turner in the South West catalogue for the show at Tate St Ives.
- During the 5 day course Hannah Woodman will be exploring Turner's life work and his influence on countless artists since the 1800's. She will help students try their hand at exploring how Turner used drawing materials and watercolour sketches in his work.
- Paul Lewin is a highly respected coastal landscape painter and will be taking the group for two days exploring Turner's ground-breaking use of watercolour.
- Artist Gareth Edwards will be taking the last two days of the course sharing his knowledge of oil painting methods and materials with lively sessions enabling students to learn how Turner used oils in a way that had not been seen before his time.
The winner will spend three nights at the Artist Residence Hotel
, tucked away in the old quarter of Penzance in a historic Georgian House, this is a fun & friendly boutique retreat with 22 uniquely decorated bedrooms and a cottage, perfectly located for discovering West Cornwall.
Enjoy a further 3 nights at Chapel House Hotel
, built in 1790 to the highest standards of its day, the building has been home to several notable figures including Admiral Samuel Hood Linzee of HMS Temeraire, the ship made famous by JMW Turner’s iconic painting The Fighting Temeraire
For anyone who is disappointed not to be attending the Turner course you can find out if there are places available or find out more about the course HERE
Image credits: Newlyn School of Art ©. Joseph Mallord William Turner, The Fighting Temeraire, (detail) © The National Gallery, London, Turner Bequest, 1856. The Artist Residence Hotel ©. Chapel House Hotel ©.