Arches Aquarelle watercolour pads are made on a cylinder mould, which offers a quality close to papers made by craftmenship methods. The slow turning of the cylinder enables the fibres to be deposited evenly and spread in all directions over the wire.
The fibres are distributed evenly, the paper slackens uniformly when wet, giving the artist more control. Only papermaking on a cylinder
mould can produce paper with deckle edges. This process can produce papers with a high grammage and exceptional resistance to scratching and erasing.
These Arches pads are vailable in 3 textures:
*cold press: paper with a natural, harmonious grain, suited to the majority of techniques or subjects. It reflects the light and gives the pigments a sublimely transparent effect.
*hot press: this paper undergoes an extra finishing process, passing through a press to obtain a very smooth surface. The grain is imperceptible and absorbs the colours more quickly. It is suitable for detailed work and drawing very fine lines.
*rough: this is the paper with the most relief. This texture brings out the colours and gives volume.
- Quality/Recommended: Recommended for professional artists.
- Weight: 300gsm
- Acid free: Yes
- Made from: 100% cotton
- Colour: Natural White
- Ideal for: Ideal for watercolour painting, as for all wet techniques such as ink, gouache and acrylic.
- Texture: Hot Press
- Brand: Arches
- Format (cm): 23 x 31cm, 26 x 36 cm
- Format (inches): 9 x 12.2 inches (approx.), 10.2 x 14.1 inches (approx.)
- Sizing: Sized to the core with natural gelatin: a process exclusive to Arches, who is the only paper mill in the world to gelatin size its watercolour paper to the core. Even if it is soaked for a long time, the paper will still retain enough gelatin not to become too absorbent.
- Mould made: Made using a cylinder mould. A
traditional process which produces very high quality papers similar to handmade paper. Arches has been using this method to make
paper since 1895.