The Hermione Hammond Drawing Award was established in 2012, in memory of the artist Hermione Hammond (1910-2015), to encourage the practice of representational drawing among art students. From 2017, it is run in partnership with Mall Galleries, central London's leading gallery, celebrating contemporary visual arts through a lively and diverse programme of exhibitions and events.
The award is open to students in the UK and Republic of Ireland who have the opportunity to win a £2,000 prize and a £250 Cass Art Materials prize.
Works will be judged by Head Judge Peter Clossick NEAC - member of the New English Art Club and Past President of The London Group and the organisers of the Award and representatives from Mall Galleries.
- The award is open to current students at recognised art institutions in the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland
- Entrants must be aged 18 or over
- Submission is free; there is no charge to enter
- Artists may submit up to six works each
- Entries must have been completed after 1st January 2017
- Multiple colours are not permitted
- Acceptable media: Pencil / graphite, pastels, oil pastels, charcoal, conte, sanguine, pen, ink. Please note that printmaking is not accepted.
- Entries may be hand-drawn from life or from an imagined image, but not from photographs
- The subject can represent any form of human, animal or plant life, a still life, an interior, or any scene - witnessed or imagined
- The judges’ decision is final
How to Enter
To enter, please upload up to six images of new or recent drawings (completed within the last 12 months) at registrationmallgalleries.org.uk between Monday 22 January 2018 (12 noon) and Friday 20 April 2018 (12 noon). Please note that images must be in JPEG format and under 1MB.
All work must be submitted online. Entrants will be notified of the winner by email on Monday 30 April.
Image 1 (leading image): Gideon Summerfield (Royal Drawing School 2017)
Image 2: Rebeka-Louise Lee (Fine Art at Canterbury Christ Church University 2017)