Cass Art and the Royal Academy of Arts are calling for artists who make contemporary abstract works inspired by the Abstract Expressionist movement. In celebration of the exhibition Abstract Expressionism
currently on display at the RA, we have teamed up to bring you an exclusive opportunity to be part of a unique exhibition at The Art Space, Cass Art Islington
, in London.
Selected artists will be invited to exhibit in Ab Ex 2016, a group exhibition showcasing contemporary abstract painting, taking place at The Art Space, Cass Art, 66-67 Colebrooke Row, London N1 8AB from 3 – 27 November 2016. Shortlisted works will be selected by Edith Devaney, curator of Abstract Expressionism and Summer Exhibition at the Royal Academy of Arts.
Exploring an unparalleled period in American art, Abstract Expressionism reveals the full breadth of a movement that will forever be associated with the boundless creative energy of 1950s New York. The exhibition brings together some of the most celebrated art of the past century, offering the chance to experience the powerful collective impact of Pollock, Rothko, Still, de Kooning, Newman, Kline, Smith, Guston and Gorky.
DETAILS, TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
ELIGIBILITY AND SUBMISSIONS
- This exhibition is open to UK resident artists age 18+ at any stage of their career.
- Artists may submit 1 piece of work each.
- Two-dimensional works include drawings and paintings in any medium will be considered. Three-dimensional work in any medium is also eligible. Photography and digital media cannot be accommodated.
- The work must have been completed in the last two years. Works made prior to 2014 will not be accepted.
- Artists submitting works must hold the intellectual property rights in the work and must have obtained any third party consents required for the use of third party owned material contained in the works.
- 2D works can be framed or unframed but unframed works must be delivered ready to hang.
- 2D pieces must be no longer than 1m along the longest dimension (excluding the frame). 3D pieces must be no longer than 50cm along the longest dimension and if the work requires a plinth to be displayed this must be supplied by the artist.
- Artworks must be completely dry at the time of delivery and all costs of delivery and collection must be covered by the artist.
- Artworks must be insured by the artist, artworks without insurance will be exhibited at the artist's own risk, Cass Art and the RA accept no responsibility for any damages to works during the delivery, installation, display or take down of the show.
HOW TO SUBMIT
There is no submission fee. Entries can be made 24 September – 16 October 2016
, entries made after this date will not be valid. To submit work, email email@example.com
with 'Ab Ex 2016 application'
in the subject line and include the details below*:
- Your Full Name
- Your date of birth
- Your email address
- Your UK address
- The title of your work
- The medium of your work
- The dimensions of your work in cm width x height x depth (both framed and unframed where relevant)
- One jpeg image of the artwork you would like to submit at a preferred 300dpi. Image file must be no larger than 1MB and the image must show the entire work.
- Image files must be labelled as follows: artistname_title_media_sizeincm_year.jpeg
- The image file must be saved so it opens in the correct orientation. To avoid any confusion, please also indicate which way up the piece should be viewed in your email.
- Any instructions for hanging the work you would like to include.
*Applications with information missing will not be valid. No postal applications will be considered. (Please do not email Cass Art asking how to convert your images).
IMPORTANT DATES AT A GLANCE*
- Artists may submit works from 24 September – 16 October 2016 inclusive.
- Artists will receive an acceptance notification with further information via email by Monday 24 October 2016.
- Unsuccessful applicants will be notified via email week commencing Monday 24 October 2016. We kindly ask that you do not email Cass Art for updates as all artists will be contacted via the contact details they provide.
- Successful applicant's artworks must be delivered to ‘AB EX 2016, The Art Space, Cass Art 66-67 Colebrooke Row, London N1 8AB’ on Monday 31 October 10am – 7pm, Tuesday 1 November 10am – 7pm or Wednesday 2 November 10am – 12noon.
- The exhibition runs 3 November – 27 November 2016.
- The Private View will take place from 6pm-8pm on Thursday 3 November 2016.
- After the show, works must be collected from The Art Space, Cass Art Islington, on Monday 28 from 2pm – 7pm or Tuesday 29 November 2016 from 10am – 7pm.
*Dates and times are subject to slight change, successful artists will be notified of any changes to the schedule
In addition to the terms above, by submitting an application you also agree to the following:
- Artists may sell their work if they wish to and Cass Art takes no commission on the sale of works.
- Sale of works must be negotiated and arranged directly with the artist and buyer, and any disputes regarding the sale of works shall be resolved between the artist and the purchaser. Cass Art does not act as your agent or partner, and has no authority to negotiate or conclude the sale of works. Sales cannot be made through Cass Art and the artist is responsible for arranging payment of VAT for any sales.
- Contact details for the artist can be made available in the space upon request of the artist.
- No work that has been accepted and displayed at the exhibition may be removed prior to the close of the exhibition on 27 November 2016. Any artworks sold must be collected after the show on the dates outlined above. Delivery costs and collection of the work must be negotiated between the artist and purchaser.
- You consent that Cass Art and the Royal Academy of Arts (RA) have the right to use images of your work on digital platforms including but not limited to Social Media, digital newsletters, and their websites, and on printed collateral including but not limited to press releases, educational, archival, publicity and marketing material. You consent that press have the right to include images of your work both digitally and in print. You consent that Cass Art and the RA have the right to include the work in any film and/or broadcast by any broadcaster. This consent is irrevocable and given without payment of any fee or royalty.
- You agree that members of the public will be allowed to take photographs of the work (alone or in combination with other works) for personal and non-commercial use during the exhibition period. Cass Art and the RA will not be responsible if any images of the works taken by persons are exploited commercially in violation of the permission given and in such circumstances, it is up to the artist to defend their intellectual property rights in the work.
- You consent that workshops and other events will take place in the exhibition space for the general public during the exhibition.
- Cass Art and the RA reserve the right to deny admission or withdraw works from the exhibition if for any reason the works, or any circumstances surrounding the display of the works, appears to Cass Art or the RA to expose it to potential or actual risk of legal proceedings or enforcement including, without limitation, the alleged breach of third party intellectual property rights.
- Artists submitting works must ensure that the submitted works conform to all applicable health and safety standards and regulations. By submitting work you agree to indemnify Cass Art and the RA, their staff and visitors to the exhibition for any loss, damage, cost or expense which results or arises from a breach of such standards and regulations.
- By submitting your work you confirm that the work is in a condition to withstand normal rigours of handling and display.
- Although due care will be taken, Cass Art and the RA shall have no liability whatsoever for any loss, damage, deterioration or wear, including damage to frames.
- If any unsold work has not been removed within one month of the final collection date for exhibited works, the work will be deemed to have been abandoned by you and Cass Art shall be entitled, without notifying you, to dispose of such work.
- Cass Art and the RA shall have no liability to you whatsoever for any loss of business or profits, loss or damage to reputation, or for any indirect or consequential loss or damage of whatever nature, howsoever caused, whether occurring in contract, tort (including negligence) or otherwise.
Thank you in advance for your application and we wish you the best of luck!
Top left: Joan Mitchell, Mandres, 1961–1962. Oil on canvas, 221 x 200 cm. Private collection, courtesy of McClain Gallery. © Estate of Joan Mitchell
Top right: Helen Frankenthaler, Europa, 1957, courtesy Gagosian Gallery. © 2015 Helen Frankenthaler Foundation, Inc. / ARS, NY and DACS, London. Photo credit: Robert McKeever
Bottom: Jackson Pollock, Blue poles, 1952. Installation view, 2016. Oil, enamel and aluminium paint with glass on canvas. 212.1 x 488.9 cm. National Gallery of Australia, Canberra © The Pollock-Krasner Foundation ARS, NY and DACS, London 2016.